We have cookies! I want them and I accept privacy policy



posted March 31, 2015 in category Living in Wroclaw


Certification of residence and PESEL number - how to survive in Wroclaw?

According to Polish law, we are all obliged to register our place of stay.  It is especially important when instead of being yet another stop on your education or professional track, Poland becomes your permanent place of residence. Fortunately, this is not really a problem. Here are some helpful tips on how to deal with compulsory residence registration in Wroclaw and how to handle the documents.
Due to the fact that registration is compulsory here, it is important that you make sure to add it to your list of formalities to take care of after you arrive in Poland. Students don’t have to worry about it - their universities will deal with it. But if you have to handle the registration yourself, prepare all the necessary documents: EU residence card, stay permit or residence permit, visa or a document confirming your refugee status. It is also important to have a passport or other identification document. If you come form outside EU and plan to register at the house of your family member, it is crucial that you have your passport, and stay or residence permit.

In order to register for a permanent stay, make sure to take with you:
  • permanent residence registration form - filled in and signed!
  • a document which confirms your title to the premises you are registering at: civil agreement, court’s decision or administrative decision, excerpt form land and mortgage register - available for inspection,
  • if you had your residence registered in a different location in Poland, you should also have the deregistration certificate.

While registering, you have three options to choose form: you can register for a permanent, temporary, or over-three-month-long stay. You can also use the assistance of a representative - if you plan to register for a period of time longer than 3 months. The whole procedure is free of charge, you may only have to cover the representation costs.

Where to file the documents? Urząd Wojewódzki [Voivodeship Office]

In order to file your documents and apply for registration in Wroclaw, you have to go to Urząd Wojewódzki, located on Powstańców Warszawy Street No. 1. It is open Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Time to get your PESEL number

After registering at the new address, you can apply for your PESEL number. PESEL consists of 11 digits which code information about the identity of the number holder. Polish people have their PESEL numbers included on their identity cards. In order to obtain this number without the residence registration, the employer, or your social insurance premium payer, has to apply for one.
It is always a benefit to know all the secrets of Polish red tape and how to deal with formalities efficiently. So if you need assistance or advice, you can always contact us or the Infolink.pl consultants.